Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Yesterday I visited the doctor for a checkup. The results of my blood work are not back, but according to the doc I am radiating good health. They sort of treat me like a rock star when I go in and this makes me think that not many at-risk patients choose to lose weight. I even talked the doctor into weaning me from my hypertension medication. We’ll see how that goes, but for now, my dosage is at least lowered.

I try hard not to get on my soap box because losing weight is sort of like finding religion. I think we’ve each had that friend who “finds God” and can’t shut up about how great it is, and wants everyone to “get saved.” I wish I could make everyone realize how great they would feel if they lost the excess weight they are packing around, but I keep it to myself unless someone asks. I hope that analogy is not offensive to anyone.

Before workout:
1/2 cereal bar – 60 calories

1/2 frozen banana – 100

After workout breakfast:
1 whole wheat cracker topped with 1 teaspoon peanut butter, 1/2 banana and 1/4 cup plain yogurt – 300

I did level 3 of the Shred. I think I may start mixing it up and doing a segment from each level and changing it up each day. I cannot wait to get outside for exercise! Yesterday the sun peaked out for maybe 30 minutes, so I ran outside to jump rope. Rocky Balboa would not have been impressed, but I jumped until I couldn’t, stopped for about 3 deep breaths and then continued the cycle. Anything is better than nothing, I suppose.

Lunch:
Salad with dry roasted chickpeas, feta cheese, and salad spritzer – 300

Today I dry roasted chickpeas. Some recipes call for coating the chickpeas in olive oil, but someone advised me to try dry roasting without oil or salt. Apparently they do not get as dry and crunchy when you season them before baking.

I baked chickpeas from a can (rinsed, drained, and blotted dry with paper towel) in the oven at 400 for about 40 minutes then dusted them with a seasoning salt that included onion powder and garlic. This snack seems very versatile; if you want a sweet snack you could season with a little cinnamon sugar or pumpkin pie spice, if you want a different taste try lemon pepper or garlic salt. The texture is similar to corn nuts.

Snack:
3 prunes, a few dried chickpeas – 100 calories

Coffee with soy milk – 100

I got in 20 minutes of yoga today. Yay!

Dinner:
Broccoli soup – 180

Small salad, basically just like lunch but without feta – 200

Dessert:
1 whole wheat flat bun with 1 heaping tablespoon peanut butter – 300

Total: 1640

No comments: