Monday, February 1, 2010

I have been tempted to try the Green Monsters, but I don’t own a food processor or blender. Well, actually I do have a very small, maybe two cup size, mini food processor that I use for dicing veggies. This led to my morning adventure of Green Oats.

Oh, my! They were green! But, very tasty. I made mine using 1/3 cup of old fashion oats, substantial dash of cinnamon, smaller dash of nutmeg, and a teaspoon of light brown sugar. I then diced a big handful of raw baby spinach in my teeny, tiny food processor and added it to my prepared oats. I will definitely eat this again!

Breakfast:
Green oats – 100 calories

Cardio and strength training for 40 minutes... however, I do not feel like I gave it my “All” today. Sinus drainage is affecting my sleep and I felt tired before I even started. I did work up a good sweat and got my heart thumping, but I had difficulty pushing myself to my fullest. As always, I felt much better after exercising and it was far from a useless workout.

It is a good thing I was able to get some exercise in. I needed it because a birthday party was soon to follow.

Lunch (?):
1/2 doughnut with scoop of fat free vanilla frozen yogurt – 300

1 piece Valentine’s Day candy – 75

I rounded total to 500 just in case that doughnut was worse than I thought. You may have noticed by now that I am constantly surrounded by children who bring concoctions such as snow cream and doughnut parties into my life. This is no excuse, but I have found that sugar stimulates my appetite making it harder to avoid overeating. Recognizing this has helped.

Real lunch:
Whole wheat flat bread with a smear of hummus (about 1 tablespoon) and spinach, spouts, and tomato – 200

Snack:
2 pieces Valentine’s candy – 150

1/4 cup unsalted cashews, almonds, peanuts – 150

Dinner:
Broccoli soup – 160

1/2 baked potato with 1/4 cup of cottage cheese – 200

After dinner snack/dessert:
1/2 cup fat free frozen yogurt with tablespoon natural peanut butter – 200

1/2 cup fat free frozen yogurt with plain peaches and strawberries – 100

Total: 1660

I try to eat around 1700-1800 on days that I do the whole cardio and strength training routine. I purposely allowed myself more fro yo because of this. It is amazing how much you can eat when you are eating healthy! Thank goodness the Valentine’s candy is gone now!

No comments: