Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Due to snow, it looks as if this evening’s meeting at church will be canceled. These meetings are supposed to be similar to Weight Watchers and all who are “interested in nutrition, exercise, and healthy living are welcome.” I am really looking forward to beginning a program that will keep me ramped up to lose these last lingering 20 pounds.

Last week I added jump training to my daily work out. This has been very challenging for me. I have always been a book worm and never athletic, so my body is surprising me all the time. At the age of 32, I am just now learning where my physical strengths and weaknesses lie. Most of these surprises have been wonderful in that I am amazed at what I am capable of. The bad surprises lie in learning how painful and tight my hamstrings and thigh muscles can become. Today I became terribly cramped in my left thigh. I’ve studied anatomy and physiology, but I can’t remember all that stuff, so let’s just say my lower a$$ is hurting on my left side. I kept going and the cramp mostly worked itself out, but tomorrow I may skip the jump training and do something else.

I haven’t been doing a good job of chronicling it, but I’ve already made time for 2 thirty minute sessions of yoga this week. My weekly goal is 3 yoga sessions.

To be honest, I am a bit of a mess right now. I appreciate my body more than I ever have and I am taking very good care of myself, but this is a difficult time for me emotionally. My husband with whom I am very close is living 2 hours away, I am trying to prepare my children, myself, and my house for the move, and I have 3 final ten page papers due this weekend to end my current term. If my husband were here these tasks that just seem so huge to me would not be so difficult. He supports me with encouragement and he helps with the kids and house, so I am really missing half of my team right now. Still, I am so happy to have made these changes because being healthier allows me to better tackle the hardships of life.

Here is some truth: if we are each lucky, we will live long enough to witness our bodies cease to work properly. No matter how well we take care of ourselves now, this will inevitably happen. When this does begin to happen and we find ourselves facing the disorders and illness that come with old age, we will be in better shape to deal with the problems. Surgery and treatments are scary enough without having to face such procedures knowing that obesity stacks the odds against you.

I look at my body as a tool; these days I am taking better care of this tool and it is working better for me because of it. Whether I am forced by life to face great illness or just the stress that comes with daily living, I am now better equipped.

Before work out:
1/2 frozen banana – 100 calories

Breakfast:
Rice pudding – 300

2 egg white orange omelet – 100

The rice pudding was made with 1/3 cup of left over rice, 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, and raisins and warmed in microwave.

The omelet was a variation of a recipe I found once in a cookbook of medieval meals. I whisked 2 egg whites with about 2 tablespoons of orange juice, orange rind, and a pinch of nutmeg before pouring into a heated skillet. The egg whites rise and puff a little and the flavor is similar to a custard, but not as sweet. I used to make these with whole eggs and a side of marmalade.

For some reason that I cannot fathom all that food was not holding me until lunch. Perhaps it is because I’ve pushed up the intensity of my workouts.

Snack:
1/2 cup Fiber One cereal with 1/3 cup skim milk – 100

Lunch:
Turkey on whole wheat with Greek yogurt, cucumbers, and lots of spinach – 200

Snack:
Kashi cereal bar – 120

Black Chai tea with light soy milk – 80

Dinner:
Subway six inch chicken sub with loads of veggies – 400

Low cal frozen yogurt – 300

Snack:
1/2 cup fro yo – 120

(Yes, I really did measure out a 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt because I knew I was overindulging a bit.)

Total: 1820

No comments: