Friday, August 6, 2010

OMG! I found Truwhip!

This may not seem like a big deal. It is to me because when I began losing weight, my kids still wanted sweet treats from time to time. Low sugar cakes topped with an icing made of fruity yogurt and Lite Cool Whip became a dessert that I could share with the kids. As clean eating became more of a priority and the knowledge I was garnering began trickling into the choices I made as a mother, Cool Whip was one of the first chemical laden products that stopped coming into my home.

But, I still occasionally like cake (whine, whine). Last night we made strawberry shortcake (my youngest made a tall concoction she called “longcake”).

Strawberry Short(long)cake

1 box reduced sugar yellow cake mix
1/3 cup water
2 egg whites
1 cup natural applesauce
1 container strawberry yogurt

Topping:
1 container Truwhip
1 container strawberry yogurt
1 pound strawberries

Mix cake mix with applesauce, water, egg whites, and yogurt and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until lightly brown. Mix second yogurt and Truwhip. Layer cake, berries, and topping in bowls or parfait cups. 16 servings= less than 200 calories a serving!

(Truwhip did not sponsor this post in any way! I am just pleased to find an all natural whipped topping sans high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, and other funky stuff.)

2 comments:

Patrick said...

MMM, I like cake and this seems like a great healthy cake alternative to having some of what we enjoy that usually is not healthy.

William Hanson said...

Staying away from the sweets is one of my biggest struggles. If I can satisfy that sweet craving with something that's not too bad for me, that's definitely a good thing. I may just have to try this long cake recipe (too cute) :-)