Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I have been making my own yogurt!!! Yes, all those exclamation marks are at the end of that sentence because this excites me!! Making my own yogurt saves money, ensures that I am eating clean, and, I don’t know, it just feels so dang quaint. You can make your own plain yogurt, too.

You need:

Crock pot slow cooker

8 cups of milk (anything but ultra pasteurized; I use skim milk)

Yogurt starter (you can buy yogurt starter or just use a small container of natural plain yogurt with live active cultures)

Instructions:

Place milk in slow cooker and turn switch to low setting for 2 1/2 hours. Unplug, do not remove lid, and allow milk to sit for 3 hours. Remove about 2 cups of warm milk, mix with live cultures and pour contents back into slow cooker. Wrap towel completely around cooker for insulation and leave it for 8 hours.

Your final product should be slightly runnier than store bought yogurt, but can be strained through a coffee filter in a mesh strainer for a thicker, creamier consistency. The final product may be a bit lumpier than the store bought stuff too, but this is only because the yogurt lumps are floating in whey. It’s completely natural and while it may not look great, it tastes so fresh.

It’s weird... I was never a foodie, I could not even really cook until I began living healthier and caring about what sort of food I put into my body.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

MC, Thanks for your gracious thoughts of support on my blog!

Making your own yogurt, wow - now that is adventurous! I like lumpy mashed potatoes, I bet I'd like lumpy yogurt too :-)