Sunday, January 31, 2010

Obese

I had another post planned, but I am doing this one in response to the Anti-Jared’s Obese entry.

When I decided to lose weight I did not feel ugly nor did I suffer from low self-esteem. I knew I was a big person, but my family is made up of big, tall people. I was actually fairly active and felt that as long as my body did what I wanted it to, everything was fine. Now I am only in my early thirties; who knows what years of obesity would have done to me? But, when I began this journey (ugh) I had no idea what lay in store for me. I had no idea just how good I could feel. I suppose it is true that one cannot miss what one has never had.

Since May I have lost almost 70 pounds. In fact according to the scale this morning I weigh in at 204 on my 6 foot tall frame, so I have lost 72 pounds since May. I don’t pay a lot of attention to the number on the scale, so that kind of just crept up on me. Most women I know would be in terrible direst at weighing more than 200 pounds, but I am in a size 14 long pants and looking slim and toned. I still plan on losing more, but if I had to stay at this weight for the rest of my life, I would be happy. Am I obese? I suppose that is in the eye of the beholder.

No comments: