Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Veggie Chowder

Last night I made a healthy, delicious soup for the fam. I served it along with sushi that I had brought home. The recipe came from The PDQ (Pretty Darn Quick) Vegetarian Cookbook.

I think that I’ve mentioned that I am only now learning to cook. My husband, who was the primary cook until moving for his new career (we will join him soon), would say this is “mixing” not cooking. But, this is where I am right now and this recipe produced a wonderful soup. This is my variation of the Potato, Broccoli, and Corn Chowder found in the book. I used frozen veggies that I had on hand and it turned out very nicely.

Veggie Chowder

1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
1 bag frozen mixed veggies
1 bag frozen broccoli
Garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of Neufchautel
1 ½ cup skim milk
2 (15 ounce) cans diced potatoes

In medium stock pot combine all frozen vegetables with broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil, turn down to medium heat and allow to cook for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add Neufchautel (or vegan cream cheese substitute; the book suggests using Tofutti), cook while stirring until fully incorporated and smooth. Add skim milk (or a vegan substitute like unflavored rice milk) and potatoes. Cook uncovered for 7 to 10 minutes. Serve.

This recipe says it makes 4 servings with each serving coming in at 238 calories, 4g fat, 2g saturated fat, and 16g protein. These would be huge servings!

This was a very healthy, quick and easy, hearty meal. I will make this again.

No comments: